November 12, 2014

"Confession and Resolution"

Dear Reader,

On the seventh day of September, I messed up big time. It was late at night and I should've gone to bed, but I just couldn't stop myself. The water, the scissors, the cold porcelain sink, the gleaming razor. It happened so fast. After the deed was done, I looked up at myself in the mirror. I brought my hand to my chin and felt nothing at first. But then, I felt regret.

My dear Reader. That fateful September night, I caved. That fateful September night, I shaved. For 61 days, I nurtured and cared for my nose neighbor and awkward chin strap...but then I jus-.....

...I can't write about it anymore. What's past is past. I can't go back and tell myself to drop that razor. I can't save my first "beard".

But what I can do is grow another. I have to admit that seeing my friends and teachers with their incredibly awkward and nasty facial hair has me missing my own.

I, Nicholas David Merrill, have committed to grow my facial hair out for ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DAYS. I started growin' on November 11th, 2014, so that means that I'm going to keep growin' until April 10th, 2015. You may be asking, "Why 150 days, Nick?" I don't know. Why try growing a beard when you know you really can't?

Extreme patience and an unnatural amount of tolerance, my dear Reader. That's all I'm asking for.

Thank you.

NM

No comments:

Post a Comment