May 10, 2013

"On Eagle Projects and Perfect Timing"

Dear Reader,

Last night, I completed my Eagle Scout Service Project. For my project, I led multiple crews in the construction of 330' of chain-link fencing, 100' of wooden fencing, and the installation of two gates for Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary in Cypress, Texas. In total the crews and I spent 466 hours on the project.

Crazy, huh?

I (literally) could not have done this project without the help of some very special people. But specifically, I'd like to thank Brian Sabin. For those of you who don't know Brian Sabin, that's unfortunate. He's a man. Like, a real, hardcore, calloused man. But at the same time he's also very kind and helpful. He knows how to build almost anything, and if he doesn't know, he learns how to build it. He suggested that I do this project has helped me along from the beginning, through the thick of it, all the way til the end. Thank you Brian Sabin. You're a great example.

My Eagle Project was actually the most difficult thing I think I've ever had to do. There were MANY times  in the early planning phases of the project when I literally thought (and said) "Holy pumpernickel. I'm so tired of this. I just don't even want to do this. Why do I even have to do an Eagle Project?".....


In retrospect, that was a pretty stupid attitude. But luckily, I dropped that attitude real quick.

Once we actually began the construction of the fence, I realized that it's not about just doing a the award. It's really about serving the community and making a difference. And there's another bonus: You learn tons of valuable life lessons. And there's ANOTHER bonus: You learn how to build things, like chain-link fences.

If you tapped me on the shoulder, pointed at a chain-link fence, and said "Name every part of that fence.", I could do it. I could also tell you how it was built.

Now, every time I see a chain-link fence, it reminds me of my efforts on my project, and it makes me feel good. Real good.

Last night, when we finished, everyone else left except for my brother Sam, Nathan Edwards, and I. We pulled out just past the gate, and I got out of the car and to close it. As soon as I clicked the gate shut, "We Are The Champions" came on the radio, and Sammy Sweet-cheeks blasted it. It was perfect timing. Perfect. Timing.

I don't know about you, (but I'm feeling 22!) but I often feel like my life is a movie. I'm serious. The perfect song and the right moment, the conversation in the perfect setting, the crazy special effects. Okay.......maybe not the special effects, but other than that, it's insane.

And if I were a movie critic, and I were rating the movie of my life so far, I'd give it a two-thumbs up......then I would high-five it.

And then I would buy it an ice-cream cone.

In closing, I'd like to offer encouragement to all scouts who want to achieve the highest rank possible. Don't give up! Yeah, it's friggin' hard. But it's worth it. You may not see how it will be worth it now, but trust me. It's worth it.

And that goes for everybody out there. Don't give up. It may be friggin' hard, but keep moving.



Hahahaha.....that sounded really cheesy. Oh well. :)

Rock on. NM




No comments:

Post a Comment